'Tis Better to Give

A University of British Columbia and Harvard Business School study has proven that it really is better to give than to receive.  The study found that subjects who spent money on others were happier than those who spent mostly on themselves.  So the next time you need a boost of happiness buy a little gift for a friend. It is sure to make your friend pretty happy too!

Image via minusyou

11 Responses to 'Tis Better to Give
  1. Melina
    May 5, 2010 | 12:07 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with this; I give gifts for absolutely no reason at all at times – if I’ve found something someone will enjoy it becomes a gift at random. And as [very] silly as this is about to sound, I’m currently reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I’ve got a diehard of a boyfriend); and there’s mention as to how the hobbits, on their birthdays, give their guests gifts rather than the other way around. Isn’t that great?

2. Lena
    May 5, 2010 | 12:52 pm

What a fabulous day a friend would have if you presented them with a little Chanel box! I confess, I don’t enjoy getting gifts, but giving them is something else altogether. I love purchasing the perfect present, then wrapping it in gorgeous paper…oh, giving presents!

• Em
      May 5, 2010 | 2:13 pm

Lena – I’m the same way, I enjoy giving gifts way more than receiving them! I feel sort of bad about it, but I think it’s the picking out and the wrapping that I don’t get to do for my own gifts that makes giving them so much more fun!

Melina – That is a very sweet idea!

3. Leah
    May 5, 2010 | 1:13 pm

So true! I need to be better at this!

4. Punctuation Mark
    May 5, 2010 | 3:41 pm

it definitely is but it would be nice to get a nice necklace inside that box… ha!

5. Merritt
    May 5, 2010 | 5:50 pm

Ooh. I agree. I spotted a little elephant trinket the other day that I knew my friend would adore so I picked it up for her; her gratitude was delightful!

6. A Casa da Vá
    May 5, 2010 | 10:35 pm

Well a chanel gift! You gotta be really in the mood of giving lol, seriously i so agree with that… you get so much out of giving… either giving money, gifts, your time… or even smiles

And wow, so lovely the comment you left about kindle my heart, thank you for supporting our program ^_^

7. Artist
    May 5, 2010 | 10:42 pm

It’s definitely easier to give than to receive for most of us.

8. Brandi
    May 6, 2010 | 12:02 am

I have to admit, I love sending cards and unexpected gifts to friends. It definitely makes me happy to know I put a smile on their face.

9. Design Darling
    May 6, 2010 | 5:46 am

how cool that there’s actual science behind it! i can’t tell you how happy i am to have found your blog via your comment on mine. i’m bookmarking you immediately!

10. Zoya
    May 8, 2010 | 5:13 am

Good to see that research is backing up what we all already practice

HHGG script slogan 2